← Back to Index
Installation from source on Linux
These instructions are valid for the latest stable releases only.
You will need the following programs:
- Malaga (version 7.12 or later)
- Suomi-Malaga, version 1.3 or later
- libvoikko, version 2.1 or later
- for OpenOffice.org support, openoffice.org-voikko
- for ispell emulation, tmispell-voikko.
You will also need C and C++ compilers, Python and GNU make.
Malaga may have additional library dependecies and openoffice.org-voikko will require the OpenOffice.org SDK
Quick installation instructions
In the following Malaga and libvoikko will be installed to /usr/local/voikko and Suomi-Malaga (the Finnish
"dictionaries") to /usr/local/voikkodict. You may however choose the
installation prefixes as you wish.
- Install Malaga. This means unpacking the source and running
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/voikko; make in the source directory,
followed by make install as root.
- Install Suomi-Malaga: Unpack the sources, run
PATH=/usr/local/voikko/bin:$PATH make voikko in the source directory and then as root
make voikko-install DESTDIR=/usr/local/voikkodict/1/mor-standard.
- Install libvoikko. Unpack, go to the source directory and run
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/voikko --with-dictionary-path=/usr/local/voikkodict; make and then
make install as root. You can now check your installation by running the command
/usr/local/voikko/bin/voikkospell and typing in words, one per line. The program will
prefix correct words with "C:" and incorrect words with "W:".
- Edit the file /etc/ld.so.conf by adding a line containing the directory of libvoikko.so
(in this example /usr/local/voikko/lib). Then run ldconfig as root. This step is
required mainly for the OpenOffice.org UNO package to work, and it is not necessary if you install
libvoikko using a deb/rpm package.
- Build openoffice.org-voikko by following the instructions in the source package.
- Install openoffice.org-voikko.
- Install tmispell-voikko. Unpack, run
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/voikko; make and as root make install.
You should also create directory /usr/local/voikko/etc and copy the provided tmispell.conf.example
to that directory.
- If you want to use tmispell as a replacement for ispell (for example in KDE), do the following:
- Install ispell.
- Rename the ispell binary /usr/bin/ispell to ispell.real. On Debian, you can do this by running
(as root) dpkg-divert --divert /usr/bin/ispell.real --rename /usr/bin/ispell.
- Add a symbolic link /usr/bin/ispell -> /usr/local/voikko/bin/tmispell.
- Create two empty files:
touch /usr/lib/ispell/suomi.hash /usr/lib/ispell/suomi.aff
- Go to the KDE Control Center and change the spellchecker settings to use ispell. Dictionary
should be "suomi" and encoding "UTF-8".
Last update: $Id: source-linux.html 2911 2009-10-08 14:28:21Z hatp $